Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jumpin' Thru Hoops with Danielle Weismann


Danielle Weissman hoops at Club Orpheus on New Year's Eve (photo by Aaron S. Krosner)

I'm reposting this article from yesterday's bthesite because it highlights my friend Danielle Weismann, who I know only as the salad bar girl at my neighborhood Eddie's Supermarket. I realized after-the-fact that I had seen her hooping around town at various events before I knew who she was; for example, here's a clip I shot of her at the October 6, 2011 "All Things Round" opening night preview party at the American Visionary Art Museum:

Watch Danielle hooping at AVAM.


And here she is breakin' it down with her LED hoops during New Year's Eve festivities at Club Orpheus:

Watch Danielle lightup Club Orpheus.

But I never realized the reach of her fame - the long-legged salad tosser is a real hoopin' celebrity! In the following profile, her comment about disliking people who don't make eye contact or smile is telling - because Danielle always makes eye contact and smiles at people and makes a habit of remembering the names of the peeps she meets through hooping. She's mega-friendly and one can sense her "no worries/good times" positive energy vibes immediately. And hooping is just one of her many hobbies and interests - she's also into yoga, fire dancing, crafting and athletics. She got it goin' on!
- Tom Warner

***LIKE/DISLIKE: Danielle Weissman, hooper***

Weismann talks to b about hoop dancing, her crush on Mike Rowe and more

as told to Jordan Bartel (bthesite, March 19, 2012)

Danielle Weissman has always been athletic. She has played a lot of sports and danced a lot of dance — modern, jazz, ballet. But with hooping she has found her calling.

"It was the first thing that clicked with me," she said.

Yes, hooping. It, of course, goes beyond the hooping you did when you were 7 and then promptly left your hoop in the garage to be run over by the family car. Weissman, a 22-year-old lifelong Baltimorean who lives in Hampden was introduced to the frenetic, captivating and still somewhat underground world of hoop dancing in late 2008 and has since performed at area bars, clubs, parks and museums, and has taught a hooping class.

"The community that surrounds hooping is really my scene and it's a form of exercise that really allows me to find my flow," said Weissman. "And lets me play with fun blinky lights and fire."

Weissman put down her hoop long enough to chat with b about where she loves to hoop in the city, loving"Workaholics"and more.

Worst pet peeve? People who wont make eye contact or smile at others in public.

What's on your iPod? More or less everything Chopin toWu-Tang Clan.

What song are you hating/loving right now? Loving: "Possum Kingdom," by the Toadies. Hating: that annoying "Shots, Shots, Shots" song.

Favorite place to hoop? Wyman Park. Really great spot with chill people, chill dogs and chill beers.

Met anyone interesting while hooping? I have met so many people through hooping. This summer, I hooped across the country with my brother. We went on an Cross-country road trip to Portland, Ore., and I can't tell you how many people approached me because of my hooping. Hooping makes you a lot of friends, real fast. It brings people together. When people see a hoop, they instantly want to try it.

Trend that has exceeded its natural lifespan? Fake nails. Creepy.

Last movie you liked/disliked? "The Silence of the Lambs,"a definite favorite. Hated: "The Hangover." Really stupid. I could have written a funnier movie.

Last video that made you snort with laughter? The scene in that show "Workaholics," where the guys are shrooming in the office and they try to capture the IT guys with the "web of ethernet cables."

TV shows you can't get enough of? "Arrested Development,""Workaholics," "American Dad." Also "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe (my one and only celebrity crush).

Last great meal you had? Last night. At home. Arugula and spinach salad with Gruyere, Tofurky, a baguette and some serious beer.

Food you hate? Gefilte fish

Favorite place to get a drink? Liam Flynn's Ale House

Favorite quote/saying? "I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to." - Jimi Hendrix

Favorite thing about Baltimore? Its potential.

***

Related Links:
kafloogaflunken's channel (Danielle's YouTube hooping videos channel)

No comments:

Post a Comment